Step away from the screen. Take time out with a digital detox. October 17, 2016 07:58
At this time of year, it's very easy to start feeling a bit frazzled. The long, lazy days of summer are well and truly over and the short, dark days of winter are just around the corner.
It's a good time to pause for a few moments and slow down for a while, before the mad hectic rush of December starts and a good way to do this is to literally press the off button for a couple of days and have a break from your phone, laptop and tablet. We're as guilty as anyone of being slightly addicted to the virtual world but after we lost our phone for a few days recently, we started to see the benefits of not having the internet at our fingertips 24 hours a day.
Here are five simple ways to reap the benefits of taking a digital detox:
1) Cosy up with a good book – studies have proved that reading can alleviate stress and also suggest that mental stimulation helps retain brain power. So pile on some stylish wooly knits, snuggle up under a blanket, light some scented candles to create a comforting, calm atmosphere and spend an evening reading. There’s nothing like a gripping page-turner to while away an evening.
2) Pamper yourself with a long, hot soak in the bath or shower. Slap on a mudpack, play some relaxing music, light some more candles and indulge yourself for a while. Our Bathing Beauty soap is so gentle babies can use it and with a tiny added splash of organic lavender essential oil, it’ll help you chill out and wash your cares away.
3) Keep in touch with old friends. Let’s not pretend that it isn’t easier than ever to keep in touch with people now we have all the benefits of social media. But when was the last time you sat down and really thought about what you wanted to say to someone? Receiving a hand written letter is so much more personal than a text or an email and who doesn’t know someone who would love to have a beautiful card land on their door mat one morning? Set yourself a challenge to write to one person every week for the next month.
4) Take a moment to take stock of your life. Write down 10 things that make you happy and use a page for each to explain why. Then think of five things that make you sad or frustrated and write down what you can do to make these things better. Finally think of 10 things you want to achieve over the next year and how you’ll go about them. By writing them all down in one place you can then come back to them periodically to check in with yourself and see how you’re doing.
5) Throw a party. It doesn’t have to be a big one that costs a lot of money but go to a bit of effort with it. Send out old-fashioned invitations, dust off your records and have some fun with real people. Your instagram following will never be able to dance round your living room with you the way your mates can.
We’ve put together a special digital detox package full of things to bring your focus back to the here and now and away from the screen. It contains:
- One of our luxury hand-poured scented Dusk candles, with relaxing notes of lavender and thyme.
- A bar of our Bathing Beauty soap
- A pack of five Jack Russell ‘Hello’ notecards
- One of our best selling Blue cockerel notebooks
- A mixed pack of our bright pink and citrus green invitations
All this is available for just £37, a saving of over 15% than if you bought the items separately. SHOP NOW
Introducing our latest products September 7, 2016 00:00
If you’ve been following our Facebook and Instagram posts over the past couple of months, you might have noticed that we’ve been carefully developing some new products. Being a small, independent business means we’re always on the lookout for good things and we love having the freedom to experiment with ideas that don’t break the bank.
We begin by sourcing manufacturers who share our high standards of quality and good service and we’re proud that everything on our site is made right here in the UK. We then begin working on the designs, not just for the products themselves but for the packaging as well.
We launched our new iPhone covers a couple of weeks ago and we’re already ordering more stock. They come in two designs – Rabbit and Owl – and have a tactile, matt finish which offers superior protection for your phone without being cumbersome or clunky to carry around. We’ve been using the prototype we had made since April and are pleased to report that so far the case hasn’t scratched or worn at all (despite carrying it around in our back pocket and dropping it more than a few times) and the design is as clear as the day it arrived.
The other new product to hit the Pheasant Plucker & Son shelves recently is a range of artisan-made soap which comes in two lovely flavours: Bathing Beauty is so soft and gentle you can use it on newborn babies and it’s lightly fragranced with organic lavender essential oil to promote relaxation, making it excellent for long soaks after hard days; Peppermint and Pumice is designed especially for hardworking hands. Its volcanic pumice removes dirt, grease, mud and grime whilst the organic peppermint essential oil soothes and refreshes. The soaps are cut by hand in our studio so they're all slightly different and we individually wrap each one in its distinctive packaging. Neither of them are tested on animals and they don't contain any of the chemical nasties that find their way into some commercial soaps.
Both the iPhone covers and the soaps make wonderful gifts – the phone covers are an inspired choice for people who are tricky to buy for as they’re both sophisticated and practical. The soaps are great as a little 'thank you for having me’ gift and or to have on hand if you have guests to stay.
Are you on our mailing list? Sign up now and get 20% off your first order.